Did You Know
1. That marine derived Omega-3 Fatty Acids have their origins in Algae or plankton? That's right, marine animals such as fish and krill consume other marine based plant or animal species who get their high Omega-3 content from the algae and plankton in the ocean.
2. That 95% of the North American population is deficient in Omega-3 Essential Fatty Acids. Regrettably, the average North American Citizen has an Omega-3-Index of 3.6; well below the minimum recommended O3i of 8.
3. That through a process known as neurogenesis, the human brain possesses the ability to grow new nerve cells, or neurons, throughout our entire lifespan.
4. That the human brain is approximately 60% fat? Of this fat, DHA is quantitatively the most important Omega-3 fatty acid in the brain. In fact, Brain DHA levels are typically 250 to 300 times greater than EPA.
5. That 95% of all brain-related issues are epi-genetic... meaning "outside the gene"? This means that only 5% of all brain related issues are hereditary. The rest are due to other factors such as trauma, poor diet, a sedentary lifestyle, sleep deprivation, environmental toxins, drug and alcohol abuse, and many more.
6. That the Omega-3-Index is a more powerful predictor of mortality than cholesterol is? In fact, for every point increase in your Omega-3-Index, you get an 8% reduction in the incidence of all-cause mortality. *
Omega-3s and Youth
It can be challenging for growing children and adolescents to meet their nutrient needs, whether they’re picky eaters, or changing requirements due to growth. The real and sometimes scary truth is that improper nutrition during the first stages of life have profound effects on growth, and on the structural and functional development of the brain. The link between Omega-3 fatty acids and proper cognitive development in youth have been firmly studied and established. DHA, one type of Omega-3 fatty acid, in particular, is necessary for normal brain function, as it’s a principal structural component of areas of the brain that are responsible for executive, higher-order cerebral activities.
Several studies have demonstrated that Omega-3 supplementation in children may offer a safe and effective means of improving reading and spelling abilities and verbal testing scores. Improvements to these growing minds do not stop in the classroom either. Research shows that early Omega-3 exposure may reduce incidence of children’s allergies, decrease symptoms that often accompany depression in children, and support enhancement of brain remodeling after head injury.
DHA intake is found at high levels in a limited number of foods and for the most part, intake by children is inadequate. For kids who don’t eat fish regularly, Omega-3 supplementation can ensure they’re obtaining the nutrients they need for healthy brains. Brain Armor offers an Omega-3+ supplement designed to specifically meet the needs of young students and athletes, made from ultra-pure algae-based nutrients that are all natural and vegan friendly, so there will be no complaints of fishy burps. And for the peace of mind of parents, all products are quality tested at several touch points to ensure the safety and proper nourishment of young, growing brains.
Omega-3s and the Active Adult
Cognition changes throughout life, corresponding to the aging brain, which is why brain support should not be overlooked after we’ve developed, but rather maintained daily to encourage optimal performance and an enhanced quality of life. Omega-3s can benefit the active adults in several ways, from reducing joint pain, decreasing risk for cardiovascular disease, and even assisting with a number of skin disorders. More importantly, it can support the active, and often over active, adult mind.
It can be challenging to meet Omega-3 requirements in the typical Canadian diet, and most Canadian adults are not meeting their recommended needs. Supplementation can be used to ensure sufficient amounts of Omega-3s are attained daily.
Brain Armor’s Super Omega-3+ for the Active Adult delivers an all-inclusive brain health supplement with the ideal amount of DHA and EPA, derived from marine algae to support adult health and wellbeing. Plus, Brain Armor’s proprietary formula provides additional brain nourishing nutrients, such as Vitamin D and the mighty antioxidant Vitamin E, which has been shown to work together with DHA to prevent brain dysfunction and cognitive decline over time. Active adults have enough to worry about, so it only makes sense to ensure they’re feeding their brains properly with a simple, quality supplement each day.
Omega-3s For the Athlete
Peak performance requires more than hard work and quality coaching. Athletes truly have to treat their bodies like machines, and machines need optimal fuel to perform their best. The nutrients needed for optimal brain health, as well as body health, are all a part of an athlete’s diet that should not be overlooked.
Speaking specifically to athletic performance, research shows that Omega-3 supplementation works to improve peripheral neuromuscular function and aspects of fatigue in the athlete population. Omega-3s have also been shown to improve complex reaction time and efficiency in elite athletes during play, and support their muscle health by significantly decreasing post-exercise muscle soreness, and perceived pain with intense exercise. Adequate Omega-3 intake might also support neurological protection and attenuate brain tissue damage after injury in active individuals, which could greatly support the long-term cognitive health of athletes in contact sports.
Brain Armor adds additional support by including Medium Chain Triglyceride (MCT) oil to their products. MCT oil has been shown not only to improve cognitive performance, but to also improve exercise performance. This is done by increasing mitochondrial biogenesis and metabolism and suppressing the increase in blood lactate concentration and rate of perceived exertion during exercise, enabling a longer duration of performance.
Brain Armor is on a mission to support cognitive health and performance on every field of play. Pro Super Omega-3+ Softgels is NSF Certified for Sport and formulated using vegan friendly, ultra-pure algae-based Omega-3 fatty acids, Vitamins D3 & E, MCTs from coconut oil, and natural flavors. Optimize your performance now, and for a lifetime, with the safe and natural nutrients in Brain Armor.